Friday, May 16, 2008

Scripture-osity

Some might argue that everything at Generations is horrendously overpriced, but today, Caitlin and I spent about $50, and with that we were able to get: three books; "Where The Red Fern Grows" on DVD (purchase, not rent); a baby book for the Rini-Beany; an emergency blanket.

One of the books is entitled, "Please Pass the Scriptures." I grabbed it when we came into the store, yet I almost put it back. In the end, we did take it, and I'm glad we did. It's a very informative read about how you can improve your scripture study, and from the sounds of the first bit, how you can improve your attitude towards scripture study. The author recommends that you don't read the book cover-to-cover all at once, but rather work your way through it, chapter by chapter. I say "work", because there are assignments at the end of each chapter. The first one being, write a journal entry about the importance of scripture study. I may rely on the material I just read, but that just means I agree with what the author said. That, and I don't plan on publishing this for money.

Scripture study is something that I've known is important for years. Most of my life I have known that scriptures have an importance. I remember on my mission I was feeling less than worthy of my call at one point, and I came across a verse in Helaman when Samuel the Lamanite was on the city wall berating the Nephites. At least I think it was. I just read through Helaman 13 and 14 and I could find anything that I remember jumping out at me. This time around Helaman 13:22 kind of jumped out at me though, and showed where I could use some improvement: Ye do not remember the Lord your God in the things with which he hath blessed you... In the introduction and the first chapter of Pass the Scriptures, there is quite a bit about remembering. Part of our baptismal covenants involve remembering God, and honouring our covenants would require studying the scriptures. Mckay White has even mentioned it to us in numerous home teaching visits that we need to make it more of a habit to study the scriptures. A handy little acronym also helps with the advantages of scripture study. PEACE - Protection, Easier to listen to the Spirit, All things what ye should do, C... was... calming? I can't remember now. I'll have to read it again.

No comments: