Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day thoughts

Another Mother's Day, and my wife still isn't a mother. Mothering me doesn't count apparently. Jessica is ready to pop any day now, so next year will be her first official Mother's Day. Meanwhile, Liz is celebrating Mother's Day in one way or another. However, and this really surprized my mom, every one of us, Jess, Liz, Jer, and me, left a message on the machine wishing mom a Happy Mother's Day. I know she's my step-mom, but after 20 years, you just get used to calling her mom. Heck, I think after a couple weeks I was calling her mom.

She doesn't really like Mother's Day a whole lot, because it reminds her of the time that she spent raising me and my sibs. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not. Much like any and all families. But my mom thinks she made more mistakes than most. Would I have turned out different had my birth mother not died and my dad remarried? In some ways yes, in others no. I am who I am, and I'm grateful that my mom was able to be there and teach me values that I've used throughout my life. Teach up a child the way he should go, and when he is older he shall not depart from it. I might be paraphasing.

I called my mom again, once Caitlin and I got home from visiting her family, and mom reminded me of something the sealer said when Cailtin and I got married. "This is the creation of creation." Something else my mom told me was that she knows that whatever happens to Caitlin and I, we'll always be together. We'll work through, struggle through, manage with what we have, no matter the circumstance.

The key thing is that we need to work at it though. These things don't just happen on their own.

Well, I best be getting to bed. Have an early day tomorrow with my new job starting at 7am, I need to be out the door by 6:30am, preferable earlier, so I need to be up before 6am. Ugh. I hope this works out.

No comments: