Wednesday, May 17, 2006

That was quick

I already related the big event of today to a friend of mine via messenger, so here's a clip of the conversation. (My handle is the long one)

Steve says: Hey less
Less says: hi
Less says: how's life treating you
Steve says: Interesting question. I just got fired from a job a started two days ago
Less says: how did you get fired?
Steve says: I was working at Freedom Ford, as a porter
Less says: what is a porter, and why Ford?
Steve says: Porter is someone who drives vechiles around the lot, picks them up, drops them off, and yes I know Ford is a crap company, but a friend of mine works there and I thought it would be okay for the summer
Steve says: Yesterday, I got a Frito-lays van too close to the wall, and broke the glass plate on the wall light. No damage to the truck
Steve says: Then I was backing up a mini bus, and I got it sandwiched on a beat up SUV. Minor damage to the bus, and the SUV well, nothing that wasn't already there
Stevee says: But that wasn't what drove the nail into the coffin for me.
Less says: stuff like that is fairly normal at dealerships because there's so many vehicles, and you have to navigate between them
Less says: normally it takes a while to start smashing into things though, but it sounds like you got an early start
Steve says: What clinched it was when I was getting this vechile out of the breezeway
Steve says: Pretty nice car, and the owner is very particular about it
Steve says: It's also a standard, and after I stalled it for the fifth time the shop foreman told me to get out of the car, and he would take care of things for awhile. I should have sensed it then.
Less says: you don't drive standard?
Steve says: Not as well as I thought I could
Steve says: And that's what I told the service manager when he pulled me into his office
Steve says: He then told me that they service very high end cars, and they can't have people like me wrecking them, because if the owner saw what I did, he would be asking them to buy him a new car.
Steve says: I'm guessing that you drive standard?
Less says: I have in the past, it's been a while though, I'm quite rusty
Steve says: Well, I got my licence about 5 years ago.
Steve says: So I don't have a lot of experience driving standards. It's something that I would have to get into the practice
Less says: it would help

That's a new record for me. Two days at a job before I got fired. Maybe I shouldn't say I was fired, since Donald Trump trademarked that, rather I was "let go" as Clarence told me today at 7:45am. I saw Caitlin as she was leaving for work, and she consoled me for a little while, but she had to get going. I went back up to our apartment, sat down in the front entry chair, let my frustrations and despair leak out my eyes for a little, then laid down to sleep for a bit. Didn't work, so I figured I would call Brian and inform him of the news.

He was a little surprised when he saw my home number on his phone, and even further surprised when I told him I am no longer employed at Freedom Ford. This was a big surprise for him, since I was the second friend of his to get dismissed that day. The other one was Aaron, a service coordinator. My ears perked up at that, since I knew that Renee, Brian's girlfriend was up for that position. Turns out they were moving her in as we were talking. That would mean that her former position is available I would suppose, and I am much better at a desk job than I am at manual labour.

I don't know if they would want to see my face at Freedom anymore though, at least not in the driver's seat of a car! There are lots of job out there though, and I think I might look into resource protection. They are looking for people for the Bonnie Doon Sears, and that might be a good thing. Might. Just have to fill out an application and drop off a resume, and we'll see how things go from there.

Quote for the day: "Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." - Alfred Pennyworth, Batman Begins

No comments: