Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And another year passes

One year older and wiser too. Happy Birthday - to you! I'm now 28 years of age, and I constantly wonder if this is where I truly wanted to be. I can't imagine why not. I'm almost done school, I have a wonderful wife, baby is on the way, and the prospect for employment never looked better!

Nevertheless, I was a little shaken after I read this article about the oil and gas industry. This is probably due to the fact that I'm looking to apply for employment with one of the said oil and gas companies. Getting on board with a utility would be the way to secure long term employment, and Alberta is the place to get a job like that.

Then there's the other side of the coin in which the abundance of money has crushed the infrastruce of Fort McMurray. I would be just as happy to find some downtown property and live in Edmonton. With my job, I might go all over the world. Europe, Saudi, State-side, who knows maybe Australia. It's just an odd feeling that I have a reasonsibility to society to implement the education I've aquired for the sake of something good, like powering homes and busineses. I've spent the past five years of my life figuring out what goes into making electricity, and energy is a huge market right now.

I like my job at the Source, but if there's no power for the electronics sold nor operating towers to sustain the wireless networks, I might as well work at McDonalds. Oh wait. There wouldn't be power to keep the building running. Hmm...

Good thing I ride my bike to work. I'll need some sort of generator to keep the heat on during the winter.

I need sleep.

2 comments:

Budgie said...

Dont worry, we'll kill ourselves with nukes before we run out of oil.

Dragon Paw Gent said...

Oh yeah that too :P