Saturday, April 08, 2006

The gloves come off

It was a matter of time, like a time bomb or a lit fuse on a huge powder keg. The members of my EE 401 Project group have been habouring some animosity towards one another for quite some time now. Difference of opinions, strong personalities, and just the amount of stress we've all been under finally came to a head yesterday. The thing that pushed us over the edge was the peer evaluation. With 300 marks to divide amoung 4 people, you're bound to get some difference of opinion. Cam and Joey had done a lot of work, but so had Nafiz and I, and hence we would understand some adjustments of the marks accordingly. Instead of everyone getting 75%, I figured that Cam and Joey would get 80% each, and Nafiz and I would split the remained 140 marks evenly, receiving 70% each. Cam disagreed. He wanted the same marking scenario we had last semester. Cam 90%, Joey 80%, and Nafiz and I 65% each. Eventually, Cam agreed to the 80-80-70-70 distribution. But the fire had been lit, and Nafiz and I had a bone to pick. An hour and fifteen minutes later, after only one death threat, we had cleared our plates of all thoughts, evil and benine. Surprisingly, Joey was the one who spoke the least, yet understood the most. He caught on that Cam was joking that he wasn't going to finish wiring the display board since he didn't get 90% in the peer evaluation, but was subtle and let us vent. It's not a pretty thing when people get angry, I'll tell you that. Hence I don't let myself do it. Very often. I'll admit, I had my own dark thoughts, but I did my best to keep it under control.

After my episode last year, I'm much more careful about how I conduct myself. I like to think anyway.

Only two more days until my EE 460 Final, and I still need to get that aid sheet completed. I'm learning a heck of a lot more than I did when I was doing those assignments. Mind you I'm also taking my time, and not rushing like a madman, doing things rushed and sloppy. I hope I'll do well on that exam, because it's only two hours, but there is going to be 5-7 questions. This could be a "sprint" exam, which I hate.

No comments: