Sunday, April 02, 2006

Not too lazy Saturday

Big day today with General Conference, working on the project, and... well I got some sleep that I've been missing. That was refreshing to wake up with out feeling that I was going to fall over because my head was off balance due to the weight of my eyelids.

It was also refreshing to listen to great men and women who invigorated me and reminded me why I'm glad to be a part of the Mormon church (or rather, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). I did miss about three quarters of the first session, and I missed the Priesthood session completely, but it's all archived online at www.lds.org, both the audio, video, and the text of the speakers. Watching the full session includes the music though, and I do love Mo-Tab. The bulk of what I learned from the second session was that we need to nuture our family relations, specifically marital relations and not just in the physical sense. Of course we need to spend time together, but doesn't mean we have to be naked 24/7. Strong marriages require romance, communication, learning, and appreciating each other.

I headed off to the LRT (Light Rail Transit a.k.a. the train) around 5pm. It's handy having an LRT station so close to where we live. It makes travelling to the University a lot easier, because I just have to hop on the train, and in 10 minutes or so I'm there! However, we're having a bit of a budget strain this month, so I'll be riding my bike to the U now. Well, classes are done in a couple of weeks, and the snow is melting too, so the ride shouldn't be that bad. It takes about the same amount of time as taking the train too. At least I think so.

I digress. The important thing is that I finally left the apartment and went off to school to work on that blasted project that we have to demo on Thursday. We seem to be limping towards somthing, and whether that something will be exactly what we wanted to make, that's debatable. We discovered that the inputs weren't working properly, and now we have most of them working, but only one works completely. Not to mention that we don't have the display wired up yet, and it hasn't been tested. I tested that all the LEDs work, and one didn't (oops), but apart from that, we just need things to be hooked up so we can get on our way. I really hope those display chips work, because we had ordered three, since we needed two and we would have one as back up. Only one of those three worked. We order two new ones, and we haven't tested them. Of course by we, I mean me. Maybe they have been tested, but I don't know anything about it. I just hope we can get this together, because we only have five days left.

One other big event today, which did and didn't involve me, was the Iron Ring ceremony. There were a few people who were in the lab who went and had the gleaming ring on their pinkies, indicating that they had proved that they could be a productive member of society worthy to wear the visible mantle of the engineer. At least a Canadian engineer. I'm not going to get mine until December, because I still have four more courses before I can apply for graduation. That happens when you reduce your course load from the prescribed six per semester to four, and have to repeat three courses.

Crumbs. I just realized that I should have applied for that summer postion today. The job was just posted yesterday, and the closing date is April 7, but that doesn't mean that I should dawdle. Last time I did that I missed out of a kicking job. What do I know? I might have hated it, so I should consider myself lucky. Bleh. Nevertheless, I should get on top of that, because I need to have a job this summer, or else I'm going to be in serious trouble come September.

No comments: