Friday, April 14, 2006

Storm is passing over

Classes are over, no more assignments until September, and no more lab reports ever! I purposely did not choose any classes that have lab componetents. I don't need any more for my degree, and I don't want to take any more! Ha ha! The year did seem to go out with a bang though. Or a thwack, however it sounded when Cam kicked me during our project demo. I was the only one who could wear the protector, because Joey was taking care of starting the program, and Cam was the only black belt, and Nafiz is too small to wear the protector.

I wasn't sure how it was going to feel, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad. I was half right. I did my best to relax, even after Cam did his Kai to psyche himself up, but that was a strong smack to the chest! I groaned but I was able to straighten up from my slightly leaned over position so we would get the maximum force into the sensors. Apparently they had quite a high threshold. This doesn't sound that bad, but as I said I was only half right. This is because I didn't anticipate Joey or Nafiz missing the confirmation window. We had to do it again. With my new knowledge of how it feels to get a foot buried in your chest with only some foam and leather between you and the incoming foot, I braced myself for the impact. I don't know if it was wise to do or not, but the second hit took me a bit more to recover from, in regards to both standing and breathing.

Thankfully, that time it did work. Whether it worked or not, I wasn't going to get kicked again! I was done. Yet after the presentations, Cam and Joey rushed off to the IEEE competition, which was at 5pm, but didn't get started until about 5:45pm. I helped move everything to the competition room, and told Cam how to use the dolly that I borrowed from the machine shop. I'm guessing that not many people are familiar with moving dollies, because someone made the comment that it wouldn't hold the water base punching bag, since the metal base was too short. He thought the base would break off. Uh, no. The dolly was designed to carry refridgerators, I'm sure it could handle the bag. I was right. :)

I also went and had a visit with the bishop on recommendation from Caitlin, and it was for the best. I have been really stressed these days, and it felt good to level with him. He confirmed what I've been considering, and now it's just a matter of personal effort.

My final lab report was a bit of a tough one to assemble. Aside from the fact that we had not yet completed the lab (there was still one more simulation to complete), we had already written the final for the course. Hence it was a matter of, why do we need to do this? After two and a half hours of trying to get the simulation to work, we wrote up the report, and then it was off to get taxes filed. Or so I thought. It's hard to file taxes if you don't have any T4's or any other documents. So Caitlin and I made a trip home, and then went straightway to Ron Graham's office. The sad thing, is that it was the first time that I had seen the Graham's for close to a year. This was further revealed when I saw a Christmas present from William and Heather. I had no idea who Heather was. William has a girlfriend now, and he lives with her. Out near Pigeon Lake. Since November. I really need to keep in touch with my relatives more!

And finally, we have our printer working again thanks to Dave, who disassembled Chantal's broken printer, which happens to be the same make and model as the one we own. Since Chantal's printer is now inoperable, and the new one she bought uses different inkjet cartidges, she gave us the old ones. This was quite a good thing for us, since our previous cartridge blew up. Too warm in our apartment, and we haven't used the printer that much. Inkjet will do that. Use it or lose it.

Now all I need to do is find a job. That shouldn't be too hard, all I have do is polish up my resume, and send that off to my father-in-law, who will forward it to the proper people, and I might have a job for the summer doing artwork moving. Who knows.

No comments: