Thursday, September 07, 2006

Book =/ Movie

I don't have the proper logic symbol to indicate 'not equal', but I should not have been surprised that after spending three hours of my life watching a Russian movie, subtitled in English, based on a Polish Science Fiction book, that the author of the book hated the movie. Other critics saw the movie and the book as two seperate things. I should have seen that coming, because even with the first movie that I had the opportunity to both read the book and see the movie - Jurassic Park by Michael Critchon - I could blantently see that the two artistic works were similar but different. You can't fit the same amount of material in a two hour movie that you can in a 300 page novel. It's just not possible. And countless other movies have done the same thing, and not just the ones based on novels. Some movies take short stories and run with them such as I, Robot; Bicentennial Man; Minority Report; even that awful movie Johnny Mnemonic. Perhaps I'm a little cornered here looking only at sci-fi, but that's the kind of stuff I have experience with.

To sum up, I have a strong impression that I should read the book. Hence I bought it.

No comments: