Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Career/Swag Day

I find it odd that I view Career Day in two different lights. One, especially this year, it's a great time to network and find out about possible employment oppurtunities. Second, and this had been every year, can be defined in one word. SWAG. And this year, I made a good haul in both departments.
I got some pens from Schlumberger, Total, Blockbuster, Flint Energy, EUB, and Nexen. Six in all, the most I've ever got from a career fair. I would have taken some pamplets as well, but half the time when I got the pen, if it had the website on it, that was usually enough for me anyway. Some of those places actually told me not to bother giving them a resume, just apply online, because that's how their HR operates. All the easier for me! Some places I didn't bother visiting, because I knew that I wasn't going to apply to work with them, such as Enmax.
More swag, and this actually isn't all of it, because I gave one of the bottles of water and two caribeeners to Tammy, one of Cailtin's co-workers. I got a LOT of stuff, but I wasn't just going for swag this year. I was searching for job leads, and I also found those! If you'll notice there is stuff from ATCO Power there. That is a little misleading, because I don't plan to hitch my cart to them, but rather ATCO Electric. ATCO Power has their office in Calgary, while ATCO electric is based out of Edmonton. Fortis and Altalink are also prospects, but those two are again based out of Calgary. The biggest hope I have is with Nexopia. I was able to talk with the founder and owner to get the idea of just what exactly they are looking for. I must say that I was excited with the possibility of working for company such as this. I just have to get an application together and send it off. I know that I have two and a half months until I'm done school, but these things have a habit of sneaking up and bitting you.

Nevertheless, tomorrow's another day, and unless I get some sleep, I'm going to hate it.

1 comment:

Budgie said...

Awe..dont you want to work at the Source forever ? :P

Ryan at the meeting this morning made mention of having you back and I was like "No, he's mine you cant have him" :P