Saturday, September 16, 2006

The evil four letter f-word

FLAT. One of the four letter f-words I don't like to hear, particularily in regards to my bike tire. That's what I found last night when I went home from work, my rear wheel was flat like Saskatchewan. I only had enough money to make one phone call, since I didn't have the cell phone, and I decided to call Caitlin and tell her that I would be home late. I then had no money to use for the bus or LRT, so I had to walk home. It was raining, but not too bad, yet it still sucked since it took an hour and a half to hoof it.

When I got home at 11pm, I went right to fixing the tire, because I had the meeting tomorrow morning for work, plus I was scheduled to work. Found the hole easily enough, because Caitlin was able to feel it with her hand. I thought that was a little weird, because usually I have to put it under water to find the hole. But that was one step less for me to do, so I was able to get to work patching the hole. The patch took and after I had a pause to have some dinner, I went back to finishing the job, putting the wheel back on the bike. I inflated the wheel, and while I was struggling to but the tire back on... POW! The tire was flat again. Upon inspection, the hole, a very big one and hard to miss, was right beside the patch. The patch held, but the tube was shot. I thought that it was because I sanded the tube too much and compromised it. I had a spare tube, so I put that in, filled the tire, and... POW! My left ear took all the noise from that (owie), and I felt the air rush out along my leg. That was too much of a coincidence, so I carefully removed the tire, followed along the tube, and the hole was of the same style of the previous pop. What the flat was going on? The rim was fine, and the tire...

The tire had a small cut close to the edge. Right where the hole in the tube was. Some 'flat'-tard slashed my tire. I never thought that people did that to bicycles, but it just happened to me. Flat. With no more inner tubes, and a slashed tire, I was in trouble. But Caitlin offered me a bit of hope. I could use her bike. Her bike was fine. Needed a little air in the tires, but that was no trouble since our pump can do both Schrader and Presta valves. Karpoozi (Caitlin's bike, named after the fact that it's green and she wanted to call it "Watermelon" and I thought it was lame. So I suggested "Karpoozi", which is watermelon in Greek, which I thought sounded cooler. Caitlin agreed.) has Presta valves, while Bikey has the common Schrader valves that you find on most vechiles in the automotive industry.

The next morning, I filled the tires, and all was well. Until I started riding. Goodness that bike is small! In order for Caitlin to ride that bike properly, I'm going to have to find a new seat post and handle bar post. Heck, I might just get another frame so that the wheels are bigger! I could ride, but it was difficult. I nearly kneed myself in the chest a couple of times. I can only imagine what it feels like for Caitlin!

At work, I mentioned what happened last night and my unfortunate circumstance. With this, I requested if I would be able to get off early today to aquire the tire and tube needed to fix my bike up. I was sure that I wouldn't, and in the end I was right. However, my AM reminded me of a place close to work that sells bicycle stuff, and surely they would be able to supply my needs. Indeed they did! Crappy Tire or not, they had inner tubes for $6 each, and a new tire for $16. Plus I got some Canadian Tire money! w00t! I was hoping that I could go to RedBike or MEC, but I was in a pinch, and this will work. At least I hope it does, I haven't changed the tire yet. We'll find out soon enough!

1 comment:

Budgie said...

I had two hate notes on my car the other night :(