Saturday, September 02, 2006

No such thing as an average day

After all the freaking out with the lost merchendise, there was a calm in the storm. My AM prevented an act of credit card fraud, and that instantly raised morale! We got an notice from the District Loss Prevention manager with a decription of someone with a stolen card. I didn't think much of it until I noticed my AM march into the back room with a very determined look on her face. I did a bit of a double take when I saw a person matching the description in the store. I was helping a customer at the time, and I did my best to keep on with that. My first manager once told me, "The customer is the focus", and that was never more true than at that moment. Caitlin later told me that acting like nothing unusual was going on was the best thing I could have done. I agreed to stay until the dust settled, but that was around 8:30pm, so I just stayed until close. Crazy day!

Less than a week before classes start again! OIE! I'm quite sure that I'm not going to finish the books that I bought last month, but I have read two. Mind you, I didn't buy Calculating God, but I read it all the same. I also renewed it in case I need to reference to it within the first week of classes. Who am I kidding? I should just return it, and then buy it. Caitlin wants to buy it, and I don't blame her. I could see her reading that one at least five times. I got a copy of "Solaris" from the library the other day, and it's not the book. The library doesn't have a copy of the George Clooney version, but rather they have a 2-disc edition of the Russian version, with English subtitles. Wow. It is tough to watch. Not gory or disturbing, just long, quiet, artistic, and difficult to follow, since it's in Russian. Unless you're following along with the subtitles, you are VERY lost. Almost like reading an abridged version of the book. I also read one of the short stories in the William Gibson collection I bought. I wanted to read Johnny Mnemonic because I heard that the movie sucked, and I wanted to see if this was a matter of Hollywood taking a good idea and putting it through the mill. I'm not sure what conclusions to draw, because I read the story rather quickly, and from what I read from Rotten Tomatoes, it was only "loosely based" on the story anyway. The story is still pretty freaky, and I also seem to remember that it was shot in Montreal. A gritty, dirty, and scary future looks a lot like downtown Montreal... Hmmm... I think the future just happened.

Well, there's a staff meeting tomorrow at nine, and Caitlin has been telling me to get to bed for 20 minutes straight now. Tah tah.

No comments: