Thursday, July 13, 2006

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

There it is, and for a bit less than I anticipated. I thought that the scooter was going to cost about $40, but turns out that it was only $30. That was the good news. The not so good news was the fact that it look a bit more time and a lot more effort that I anticipated to get from downtown to home and back again. For one thing, I was working muscles that I had not used before, and they didn't really like it. I could stay on one leg for about two blocks until I had to switch. Also, there were not many gliding parts. The pavement in Edmonton, espically on sidewalks, tends to be a bit bumpy. In Churchill Square and around downtown it was great! It would be even better if I could use it inside the mall, but security would be on me quicker than a squirrel on caffeine. Caitlin used it to get home today, but she drew the same conclusion as me. Nice to have, like our in-line skates, but a casual thing. She doesn't see herself taking that to work every day. Back to getting her a new handlebar post and better handlebars.

But I have one more crazy idea. What if I took the scooter to work, and she took my bike to work? I would have to see if I could make it to work myself on the scooter, but I think the pavement it worse the route I take. Maybe not the best idea. Another idea Caitlin had was to borrow her brother's electronically self-propelled scooter. Just plug it in and, "WHOO!", after a couple hours of charging of course. We would have to borrow, because I don't think we would buy one of those, since they cost in the neighbourhood of a new bicycle.

One of my assistant managers noticed that I am working 48 hours next week. This is greatly due to the fact that we are short staffed, and we need to make ends meet. This is a great plus for me, because then I can sensibly take the last week of August off to go to Banff, and not worry about missing a week of work, because with all the overtime that I would have accumulated at that point, I would have worked that week anyway. This is assuming that I'm going to be putting in 48 hours a week for the next five weeks. Plus I told my manager when I was hired that I would work six days a week if he needed me to, so long as I had Sunday off, and he has done that for me next week. |Smiles|

No comments: