Monday, August 14, 2006

One down

I finished Left Hand of Darkness an hour ago, and I must say it is an interesting read. I have no idea how we're going to be tearing this book apart in class, since class doesn't start for another four weeks. At first I thought the idea of people who can change gender was cool. By the end, it just seemed confusing. I have to read that book again, with a dictionary. I understood the book for the most part, but there were a multitude of words that are not in my vocabulary. I found the premise most intriguing. A lone man on an alien planet, his mission is to rouse interest and agreement to get the planet to join an interplanetary alliance. By the end of the book, the residents on the planet are more familiar to him than the people from the ship that dropped him off. Terran men and women seem alien to him. Facinating read, even though it didn't quite head in the direction that I anticipated with the mind-speak.

All the same, there are a lot of books to read, and I just finished one. Kind of scratching the surface. Meanwhile, Cailtin read one of the books on the reading list as well. I borrowed Calculating God from the library, and Caitlin read it in two days. I swear, she's a goat when it comes to books. She devours them. Over and over again too. She wants me to buy the book, so that means she'll read it at least 10 times by the time the year is out. She really liked it. I'm going to read that one next, since I have to return it September 2. From what Caitlin has told me, it's going to be a crazy read. Aliens land in Toronto, and the first thing they say is "Take me to your palentologist." Local people are mentioned in the book too, such as Prime Minister Chretien and Peter Mansbridge. I think it's interesting.

No comments: