Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Same job, new location

It's official now. I'm being transferred to Londonderry, and I'm glad of it. Nothing against Westmount, it's a nice store, great co-workers, but low traffic. My reasons for going to Westmount in the first place was:
a) Nathan needed people badly since staff was cut down to one person, himself;
b) I was told it would be temporary. One week, maybe two, and then I would be back at Kingsway.

Since then, Kingsway is up to full staff again, and they are running very well. Therefore, there is no opening for me until September when part-time help is needed. As for Londonderry, they need another person there to bring the number of staff to four. With the amount of business they do, the store can easily support four staff members, while Westmount can do well with three.

I haven't done the bike commute to Londonderry yet, but I figured that it would be equidistant compared to Westmount, and that took about 25 minutes or so. Of course once the snow hits it'll have to be ETS as the primary mode of transportation, where it's secondary right now.

Although I am looking forward to this new position, there is one thing bothering me. No matter where I go, I don't think I'm going to be able to take the full holiday that I was planning for all year. Due to the labour shortage across the city, and the district, we are having trouble keeping stores staffed. So taking a week off is a bit of a pinch. Plus I've only been with the company for two months, and I'm going part-time in the fall. On top of this, the week I've been planning to go overlaps with the Managers Conference in Ontario. Every store will be down an employee during the time I want to take vacation! I really need time off too. Last year I didn't get to go to much of anywhere because of May 16, and then I was working two jobs to try to cover the lost time. Bleh. I seem to remember writing this previously...

Anywho, I need to get downtown to get my wife some water. The Culligan man hasn't shown up for a couple of weeks, the A/C is on the malfal, and she left her bottle at home. Not a good combo when you add on the fact that she's pregnant.

1 comment:

Budgie said...

If your vacation is supposed to be during the managers conference, chances are you aren't going to get it. I might be going up to GP to run the store there for a few days and you'll be needed to run kingsway.
If Dumka approves of me going to GP, for 3 days, you'll get to be me. :P