Friday, October 17, 2008

Elene is not dead yet

Actually, Elene is far from dead, but I was a little worried about the
steering, hence she went into Speedy yesterday. I took Bikey to work,
and was able to get to Speedy in time to pick her up before close.
Turns out that the steering is fine, the wheel alignment is good, and
the radio just had a burnt fuse. So, all that work cost $80. If I
went to Crappy Tire, I'm sure they would have wanted at least three
times that, and they would have tried to do the alignment anyway.
That, and the guys at Speedy have been working on cars for longer than
Elene has been around, so I trust them to take good care of her.

Still, in the end, it sounds like an awful lot of money to fix a fuse!
But the amount of work that it took to figure out that it was the
fuse? I think it was worth it.

I was also educated about how the wheel positioning works. Since I
have front wheel drive, the axels are different lenghts. Nothing to
do about that, it's part of the design. However, that will get a bit
of a pull to the left. The pull to the right can be due to road
grade, which is supposed to be 7%, but with the roads that we have
right now, it can be 15% or so. Also the steering wheel may be a
little off center. Happens. Another thing that Eric mentioned was
that it could also be due to unequal tire pressure. I'm going to get
Elene's tires done on Monday. I wanted to get them done on Thursday,
but things got a little busy, and I had to rush off. Bleh.

The irony is that driving home, although I just paid $80 to fix the
radio, I didn't turn it on. Too used to the silence, and I didn't
know how to turn it on.

No comments: