Sunday, October 19, 2008

Uses for the rig

I must say that our desktop computer is really starting to irritate
me. It was bad enough when we had dial up, but now we have a virus on
our computer. The worst is when you are trying to play a video, and
the virus keeps inturupting the stream. It worked great for
conference, but any other video, it is like watching really bad
stop-motion.

Today, I tried to load a video onto Facebook. Big mistake. I would
have had better luck filling a sieve with sand. After I decided to
give up on that, I figured I would send a message to someone, with an
attached website address. Putting the address in the message attaches
a preview of the website, and hence bogs down the bandwidth. Or just
makes the comptuer think really hard. Either way, it was going slower
than molasses going uphill in January on crutches.

Eventually, I just shut down the rig and pulled out Dory. I had the
message sent in five minutes. I didn't try posting the video, but
I'll give that a try some other time.

I also did a training exercise for NaNoWriMo this morning. I sat down
with iPaq and pounded out a continuation of last years NaNoWriMo
story. I was rather impressed that I was able to get out 1488 words
in an hour, even with all the distractions I had to deal with.

Part way through the hour that I had decided to write, Rini woke up,
and in order to cut down on the amount of time I would be getting away
from the keyboard, I opened her door a crack. She has yet to master
opening doors with doorknobs, but she can pull on them just fine. She
can get out of bed by herself now, so if she can get out of her
bedroom by herself, all the better. She tried climbing onto my lap,
but I invited her to get up on the chair beside me instead.
Remarkably, she actually did it! Then she got bored about three
minutes later, or sooner since I wasn't really keeping track of the
time, and went about the family room making a mess and trying to
entertain herself. I did get up when she pulled Zeus the moose onto
her head. I'm not sure why I decided to put that Juniper Moose on top
of her toy box, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I would wonder if i have the dedication to do this, since I focus on
my writing to the point that I put my child in danger. True artists
are willing to suffer for their work, but making others suffer? Mind,
I did get up and hold her after Zeus pinned her. I'm not entirely
heartless to the point that I just get the moose off her, scold her
for doing something so dangerous, and then get back to writing.

Besides, you save more time by taking time to comfort her. If I had
done the idiot thing and just do the minimal work needed to make sure
she wasn't dead, that would be bad parenting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That and your wife would've killed you enough that you couldn't write ever again!