Saturday, October 04, 2008

Plans and Projects

While Caitlin is pounding away at her sewing project, I busied myself
with setting up our computer to receive conference today. It worked
very well, and we will probably so it again in April. Fun times!

I worked on my novel for NaNoWriMo. You can't do any writing, but you
can do planning in November. I was using a quiz that I found on
facebook. Someone had filled it out because they were bored, and I'm
assuming that someone wrote it because they were bored. It was enough
to get my mind rolling and thinking about what I wanted in my Main
Character. It also made me think about character and plot dynamics.
I know there are still a lot of things to work out, but if I can get
the story in my head, and most importantly a destination, then I can
see myself pounding out much more than 50k next month.

I just need to find a story that needs to be told. Or at least one
that I want to tell.

I met a facinating person today. I believe his name was Peter Jarvis,
and I believe he works for the U of A. Industrial designer by trade,
he had quite a few stories about how the trade came to be, and how U
of A got the faculty. In the days of Henry Ford, where you could get
your box on wheels in any colour, so long as it was black, the
automotive industry had hit a standstill. So they went to the
cartoonists and asked them to draw them a car. This drawing was then
taken to the shop, and now we have parking lots filled with different
models of boxes with wheels. And they come in black along with a
variety of all the other colours of the rainbow. He also knows Steve
Drake. THE Steve Drake. Rather amazing that Steve was given the keys
to one of the most powerful computers in the country at the time, and
three months to figure out how the thing works so that he and two
other collegues could start teaching about it. No pressure! Mr.
Jarvis also told me about the MLM known as Discovery Toys. Litlte did
I know, that Mom tolley has a bunch of discovery toys games. I'll
have to remind her to dig them out for us tomorrow.

No comments: